The Ritz-Carlton Abu Dhabi, Grand Canal hiring Restaurant Manager at Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
Areas of responsibility include Restaurants/Bars and Room Service, if applicable. Supervises daily restaurant operations and assists with menu planning, maintains sanitation standards and assists servers and hosts on the floor during peak meal periods. Strives to continually improve guest and employee satisfaction and maximize the financial performance in areas of responsibility. Determines training needed to accomplish goals, then implements plan.
Education and Experience
- High school diploma or GED; 4 years experience in the food and beverage, culinary, or related professional area.
- 2-year degree from an accredited university in Food Service Management, Hotel and Restaurant Management, Hospitality, Business Administration, or related major; 2 years experience in the food and beverage, culinary, or related professional area.
CORE WORK ACTIVITIES
Managing Day-to-Day Operations
- Supervises and manages employees. Manages all day-to-day operations. Understands employee positions well enough to perform duties in employees' absence.
- Maintains service and sanitation standards in restaurant, bar/lounge and room service areas.
- Reviews staffing levels to ensure that guest service, operational needs and financial objectives are met.
Leading Food and Beverage Team
- Utilizes interpersonal and communication skills to lead, influence, and encourage others; advocates sound financial/business decision making; demonstrates honesty/integrity; leads by example.
- Encourages and builds mutual trust, respect, and cooperation among team members.
- Serves as a role model to demonstrate appropriate behaviors.
- Identifies the developmental needs of others and coaches, mentors, or otherwise helps others to improve their knowledge or skills.
- Develops specific goals and plans to prioritize, organize, and accomplish your work.
- Ensures and maintains the productivity level of employees.
- Provides the leadership, vision and direction to bring together and prioritize the departmental goals in a way that will be efficient and effective.
- Ensures compliance with all food & beverage policies, standards and procedures by training, supervising, follow-up and hands on management.
- Ensures compliance with all applicable laws and regulations.
- Ensures compliance with food handling and sanitation standards.
- Ensures staff understands local, state and Federal liquor laws.
- Establishes and maintains open, collaborative relationships with employees and ensures employees do the same within the team.
- Establishes guidelines so employees understand expectations and parameters.
- Monitors alcohol beverage service in compliance with local laws.
Provides Exceptional Customer Service
- Provides services that are above and beyond for customer satisfaction and retention.
- Improves service by communicating and assisting individuals to understand guest needs, providing guidance, feedback, and individual coaching when needed.
- Manages day-to-day operations, ensures the quality, standards and meets the expectations of the customers on a daily basis.
- Displays leadership in guest hospitality, exemplifies excellent customer service and creates a positive atmosphere for guest relations.
- Empowers employees to provide excellent customer service.
- Acts as the guest service role model for the restaurants, sets a good example of excellent customer service and creates a positive atmosphere for guest relations.
- Handles guest problems and complaints.
- Meets with guests on an informal basis during meals or upon departure to obtain feedback on quality of food and beverage, service levels and overall satisfaction.
- Ensures corrective action is taken to continuously improve service results.
- Incorporates guest satisfaction as a component of departmental meetings with a focus on continuous improvement.
- Manages service delivery in outlets to ensure excellent service from point of entry to departure (e.g., greeting from hostess, speed of order taking and food and beverage delivery, fulfillment of special requests, collection of payment & invitation to return).
Managing and Conducting Human Resource Activities
- Provides guidance and direction to subordinates, including setting performance standards and monitoring performance.
- Identifies the educational needs of others, develops formal educational or training programs or classes, and teaches or instructs others.
- Ensures employees are treated fairly and equitably. Strives to improve employee retention.
- Ensures employees receive on-going training to understand guest expectations.
- Solicits employee feedback, utilizes an "open door" policy and reviews employee satisfaction results to identify and address employee problems or concerns.
- Strives to improve service performance.
- Ensures recognition is taking place across areas of responsibility.
- Provides information to supervisors, co-workers, and subordinates by telephone, in written form, e-mail, or in person.
- Analyzes information and evaluating results to choose the best solution and solve problems.
- Assists servers and hosts on the floor during meal periods and high demand times.
- Recognizes good quality products and presentations.
- Supervises daily shift operations in absence of Assistant Restaurant Manager.
- Oversees the financial aspects of the department including purchasing and payment of invoices.
- Adaptability - Determines how change impacts self and others; displays flexibility in adjusting priorities; and communicates both the reasons for change and how it impacts the workplace.
- Communication - Customizes approach to conveying complex information and ideas to others in a convincing and engaging manner; appropriately interprets verbal and non-verbal behavior; and models active listening to ensure understanding.
- Problem Solving and Decision Making - Models and coaches others on breaking complex issues into manageable parts, identifying and evaluating alternatives and their implications before making decisions, and involving and gaining agreement from others when making key decisions.
- Professional Demeanor - Exhibits behavioral styles that convey confidence and command respect from others; makes a good first impression and represents the company in alignment with its values.
- Building and Contributing to Teams - Leads and participates as a member of a team to move the team toward the completion of common goals while fostering cohesion and collaboration among team members.
- Driving for Results - Sets high standards of performance for self and/or others; assumes responsibility for work objectives; initiates, focuses, and monitors the efforts of self and/or others toward the accomplishment goals; proactively takes action and goes beyond what is required.
- Planning and Organizing - Gathers information and resources required to set a plan of action for self and/or others; prioritizes and arranges work requirements for self and/or others to accomplish goals and ensure work is completed.
- Coworker Relationships - Interacts with others in a way that builds openness, trust, and confidence in the pursuit of organizational goals and lasting relationships.
- Customer Relationships - Develops and sustains relationships based on an understanding of customer needs and actions consistent with the company’s service standards.
- Global Mindset - Supports employees and business partners with diverse styles, abilities, motivations, and/or cultural perspectives; utilizes differences to drive innovation, engagement and enhance business results; and ensures employees are given the opportunity to contribute to their full potential.
Generating Talent and Organizational Capability
- Organizational Capability - Evaluates and adapts the structure of team assignments and work processes to best fit the needs and/or support the goals of an organizational unit.
- Talent Management - Provides guidance and feedback to help individuals develop and strengthen skills and abilities needed to accomplish work objectives.
Learning and Applying Professional Expertise
- Applied Learning - Seeks and makes the most of learning opportunities to improve performance of self and/or others.
- Business Acumen - Understands and utilizes business information to manage everyday operations and generate innovative solutions to approach team, business, and administrative challenges.
- Technical Acumen - Understands and utilizes professional skills and knowledge in a specific functional area to conduct.
- Finance/Accounting - Knowledge and understanding of financial knowledge, controls, inventory, costs, expenses, and all cash handling procedures and policies.
- Basic Competencies - Fundamental competencies required for accomplishing basic work activities.
- Basic Computer Skills - Uses basic computer hardware and software (e.g., personal computers, word processing software, Internet browsers, etc.).
- Mathematical Reasoning - Demonstrates ability to add, subtract, multiply, or divide quickly, correctly, and in a way that allows one to solve work-related issues.
- Oral Comprehension - Demonstrates ability to listen to and understand information and ideas presented through spoken words and sentences.
- Reading Comprehension - Demonstrates understanding of written sentences and paragraphs in work-related documents.
- Writing - Communicates effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
Occupational Safety and Health Roles and Responsibilities
- Ensure the Department complies with all local Occupational Health and Safety legislation
- Incorporate OSHMS (Occupational Safety and Health Management System) in design phases for all working area and equipment.
- Take every reasonable precaution to protect all employees
- Ensure that employees use the required equipment, protective devices and protective clothing and that Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) are regularly inspected and maintained
- Identify and control hazards. Ensure all employees are advised how to report hazards
- Consider health and safety requirements while selecting and finalising a contractor or any high-risk maintenance activity.
- Advise employees of all known hazards and stop any hazardous activity at the workplace
- Provide health and safety induction training to all new joiners and contractors.
- Ensure that safe work practices are developed to control hazards and are adhered to at all times
- Ensure that all employees receive proper training as per health and safety training plan, instruction received and have a full understanding of all job tasks
- Ensure that proper maintenance is carried out on all equipment and facilities
- Conduct regular workplace safety inspections as a preventative measure
- Ensure that all employees report and seek treatment for all injuries and illnesses sustained in the workplace
- Investigate all accidents, incidents and near miss in coordination with EHS department.
- Ensure that Health and Safety topics are regularly communicated within the department, including departmental safety guidelines
- It is the responsibility of every Employee to safeguard their Ladies and Gentleman, as well as their own health and safety at all times
- Ensure that department has at least one first aider in each shift